Sunday, August 5, 2007
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Lightly grease cookie sheet with vegetable oil.
3. In a large bowl combine eggs, egg whites, vanilla. Mix well.
4. Add sugar, flour, soda and salt. Beat until dough forms. Stir in nuts.
5. Put dough on lightly floured board. The dough will be very sticky.
6. With clean floured hands and with the aid of a scraper, knead dough several times. Divide dough in half.
7. Be sure to keep hands well floured and form dough in to 2 flatish logs, 15 inches long, 2 inches wide.
8. Place logs on a baking sheet 3 inches apart. Bake for 40 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes.
10. AFTER the 10 minutes reduce heat to 275 degrees.
11. On cutting board, diagonally cut 3/4 inch slices. Arrange slices on baking sheet and bake 10 - 12 minutes. Flip cookies and bake another 10 - 12 minutes.
12. Turn off oven and let crisp for 15 minutes.
13. Remove and cool completely.
*For more detailed instructi0ns on making Biscotti, see this post on my knitting blog.