Sunday, August 5, 2007
Penne with Tomatoes and 2 Cheeses
6 Tbsp Olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
3 28 oz cans Italian Plum Tomatoes, drained*
(*I use regular Italian style tomatoes with basil. I chop them in a food processor first.)
2 tsp. dried basil
1 -1 1/2 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
2 cans low-salt chicken broth
1 lb. penne or rigatoni
2 1/2 cups packed grated Havarti Cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
2. Mix in tomatoes, dried basil and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
3. Add broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until mixture thickens to chunky sauce and is reduced to 6 cups - stirring occasionally. (@ 1 hour 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Cook pasta. Return to pot and toss with 3 tbsp oil.
5. Pour sauce over and toss. Mix in Havarti. Transfer to 13 X 9 dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
6. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Sprinkle with fresh basil, if desired.
Original Post on Willow Way Knitting Here